Before we dive in to this simple DIY recipe, please know that a quick swipe of hand sanitizer should not replace a good hand washing, as sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs. The CDC recommends scrubbing for at least 20 seconds with soap and water to help lift dirt, grease, and microbes from the skin.
But, when you’re in a pinch, this homemade sanitizer gel will do the trick!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Using alcohol diluted beyond 91% will result in a weaker sanitizer that does not meet the CDC’s 60% benchmark.
- ½ cup of Aloe Vera Gel (organic, if possible)
- 15 drops of Garden of Life Organic Essential Oils – we recommend lavender, lemon, tea tree, or a combination!
- Lavender has long been the premier essential oil for promoting calmness and relaxation.
- Lemon essential oil is known for its fresh citrusy scent, but also offers an experience of clarity and sharpness.
- Tea tree oil offers an experience of cleansing and purification, and is known to support our bodies to maintain optimal well-being.
- Upcycled lotion/gel container
Measure out the alcohol and aloe vera gel, and combine in a bowl. Add the Garden of Life Essential Oils of your choice, stir or whisk until thoroughly combined, and pour into the container. Use when needed!
Our team is committed to providing helpful tips and positivity during this time – we hope this DIY hand sanitizer gel is useful for you and your families.
Stay well and stay sanitized, friends!