As a small business owner every year I search for an original idea to gift my clients as a BIG
thank you for their support. I usually make something since I have a knack for it and my clients greatly appreciate it.
This year I decided to make lip balm using Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E, making it a great skin soother and smoother, thus perfect for the lips. The oil also acts as a wind protectant, a sunscreen with a natural SPF of 20, and a healing ointment.Lip Balm is very easy to make! You will need:
To make your lip balm:
- Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Shea Butter or Mango Butter-I use Mango Butter because it is unscented
- Beeswax-I use beeswax pellets. If using a block, you will have to grate it before use
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- A saucepan one third-full of water and a glass measuring cup as a makeshift double boiler
- A heat protective glove
- Lip Balm Containers (available online)
- Lip Balm Labels (optional)
- One half of a shirt box
- Bring the pot of water to a strong boil
- Line up your lip balm containers in a shirt box, with the lids off. I like to line the tall, skinny containers up around the edge so they will not spill.
- In the measuring cup, place 2 tablespoons of each the Coconut Oil, Mango or Shea Butter, Beeswax, and two drops of peppermint oil.
- Put your heat protective glove on, and place the measuring up in the boiling water. Be careful that it doesn't spill or that the water doesn't spill into the cup.
- Occasionally stir the mixture with a long spoon, and a allow it to completely melt. This will take several minutes.
- Once melted, take the measuring cup out of the water using your gloved hand. Let it sit until you can handle it with the glove; do not let it harden.
- Pour the mixture into the lip balm containers and allow them to harden. Give it an hour or so. You can also place the box in the refrigerator to harden them quickly.
You are all done! Enjoy!
- Apply the lids.
Learn more about Karen Mirlenbrink by visiting her ambassador page
. Karen Mirlenbrink is the owner and operator of the Dunedin Pilates Studio (https://www.facebook.com/dunedinpilatesstudio) in Dunedin, FL. She is also a Garden of Life Brand Ambassador as part of the YOLO Board team of Stand Up Paddle Boarders. Karen and her husband Rob also founded and organize the annual Sharkbite Challenge in Dunedin that brings paddle boarders and outrigger canoe teams from across the country to the beaches of Honeymoon Island. The 2016 race weekend is April 8-10, 2016. For more information go to https://www.facebook.com/sharkbitechallenge/