Skip to content
Serves: 1 pie
- 2 gluten-free pie crusts (can buy frozen or make your own)
- 5 cups pitted fresh cherries
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup organic cane sugar (or less if the cherries are very sweet)
- 1½ Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg (yolk only) and 1 Tablespoon almond milk (this is optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix cherries with corn starch, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract and salt.
- Let sit while you place first pie crust into a pie pan.
- Gently press pie crust to the bottom of the pan then pour cherries into crust.
- Discard any juices from the bowl of cherries otherwise you’ll get a runny pie.
- Place second pie crust on top of cherries and gently secure it on top, pinching the top and bottom crusts together.
- Make the egg wash by whisking together the egg yolk and almond milk together then brush the top of the pie with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle pie with some more sugar, if desired.
- Make 4 slits into the top pie crust so that it can release steam.
- Freeze pie for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool.
- Serve warm or cold, with or without ice cream.
- Pie will last 3-4 days refrigerated or 1-2 months frozen.