Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- 1¾ cups gluten free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Garden of Life Coconut Oil + extra for muffin/cupcake pan
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place coconut milk in refrigerator the night before.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly oil a muffin pan with Coconut Oil.
- Measure out ¼ cup coconut oil and place in freezer for about 10 minutes to solidify.
- Combine dry ingredients for the shortcakes.
- Cut coconut oil into chunks and place in with the dry ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients using your hands until you get a crumbly texture.
- Add in almond milk, lemon zest and vanilla and use a fork to mix together (do not overmix).
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full (approximately ¼ cup of prepared batter).
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
For the whipped cream:
- Remove can of coconut from refrigerator and scoop out the solids into a large bowl.
- Add only ¼ of the liquid (that will be under the solids) and mix using an electric mixture until you achieve soft peaks (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Add in the sugar and the vanilla and mix again for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in refrigerator.
- For stacked shortcakes, torte or slice a shortcake horizontally.
- Place one half on a plate, add whipped cream and sliced strawberries and then place the second half of the shortcake on top with more whipped cream and strawberries.
- Or simply top one shortcake with whipped cream and then strawberries.