How to Stick with Your New Year’s Resolution

Every year I am faced with the same discussion. Clients, as well as thousands of people, are reaching out to me in need of help maintaining their resolution. The reality is that we all have different levels of discipline. The problem is—the expectation we set for ourselves. NOBODY is perfect so how can we expect to be perfect at our goals? We’re immediately setting ourselves up for failure, which is why we don’t succeed. For example: setting a new diet with no cheats or a training regimen that is meant to be perfect day in and day out. Well how is this possible? Life takes over—good and bad things happen—which can affect your plan.

Just last night, I had a hockey game that went so long my legs were dead this morning. Yet I had a workout that involved squatting and deadlifting.  Everything I just mentioned is healthy. Between the hockey, squats and deadlifts I should be in great shape. Correct?  Well I am but the problem was my lower body was too fatigued. I struggled to hit my numbers during my workout. This could have been a wrench in my program, but instead of being discouraged, I took a step back and evaluated my program. I needed some recovery work and some rest.

My point here is that with goal setting, we need to factor in human error. I started doing this years ago and the feedback and results have been astonishing. It’s amazing how the mind and body responds if the error became part of the plan.

I want you all to try this. Whatever the plan is, start by giving yourself an 80% success rate. Begin with baby steps and build some confidence. You will notice that what once felt difficult will become gradually easier. Whether your goal is nutrition related or just getting more sleep, track your progress. When you think you made a mistake, note it. Just make sure you keep these slip-ups in the 20% column.

This approach has worked for me in so many aspects of my life. Moving forward this year try, to follow your resolution 80% of the time, and allow for some flexibility the other 20%. Strive not for perfection—but improvement. Happy New Year!
Alert_Error Alert_General Alert_Success